Monday, September 7, 2009

Q & A's

This weekend I was at the wedding of a close friend who I grew up with...she looked beautiful! This also meant that I got to see many of the people from my childhood. I received many questions and comments about my plans to adopt (within minute everyone knew due to one excited gramma to be :) ). Questions like why adoption? why international vs domestic? why Ethiopia? why now? Why so long? etc. Some of these questions I was prepared for and expected but others I was surprised by so thought maybe a bit of clarification would be helpful.

Adoption was never a question for me - regardless of my marital status international adoption has always been in my heart and plans. I have dreamed of adopting a baby from overseas since I was a young girl. This dream began with Haiti and over the years changed due to numerous reasons. Timing was all that I was waiting for and I am now in a place in my life that this is a reality. Why not "from Canada" - well this is a hard one for me as I am a huge advocate for adoption, I suppose the reason for this is simply because I have always thought a child would be brought into my life through international adoption. Does this mean I will never adopt from Canada? - no of course not....that could always be down the line who knows.

As for those people who questioned wait times and were surprised that once paperwork was signed a baby was not just handed over - international adoption is simply not like this. Paperwork is stacks high and the hoops that one has to jump through are numerous. Many of these are to ensure that the adoption is legal and legit - one of the things I love about the Ethiopian program. What can I say about waits other than everything is a process and children need to come home before others can fill the transition house and be referred to the numerous families still ahead of me :)

The one question that did shock me greatly was - why not "just meet someone and get knocked up" - wow I was stunned! First off surprised that the people in my life would ever think this is the type of woman I have become - and second that people really think things are this easy and simple! This was not even something that crossed my mind or ever will!!!!! In my mind children will come into my life in a loving and thoughtful manner - whether in the future this is through adoption or birth.

I know many questions will still come - and I honestly love talking about adoption so do not mind at all :) I did figure though that maybe this post will help people to understand. I do know that many of you who read this already are aware of these options because A. you too involved in the adoption process or B. we have had these conversations many times :)

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I totally understand! You have basically summed up exactly why I am also going this direction. Amazing as I didn't think anyone really understood how I think of what a family is and how I would like it to come about.

Anonymous said...

Ha - I had the "why don't you just get knocked up" question too - along with suggestions of where I could hang out to meet men for one night stands so I would never have to tell them they were a dad. Uh... thanks, I'll get right on that, or NOT. Geez.

ps - I'm 2 weeks behind you in the wait. :)