Sunday, February 7, 2010

Thoughts

I have been off work sick the last few days which has lead to much thinking about the adoption and all that it brings. I have been trying to make a list and think of all the things that I need to get before baby comes home. My thought was if I start picking up some of the items that I need slowly it won't be such a mad rush after the referral. That way I can save that time for clothes and gender specific things. I thought I would put the question out there to others as to what people found most helpful or anything that you did not think of that would be important to get. I have to say these days off have been good in a sense but also find that all I think about is the adoption (not that I haven't most days), and I have been reading a lot of blogs....with all that being said it makes the wait feel like forever away! With that being said I look forward to all of the people I have met (in person and through blogs) picking up their littles ones soon and recieving referals.

12 comments:

Dancin' Momma said...

Hmmmm, I will be back with more ideas, but remind me what your request is? It helps to know approximate age. :)

Anonymous said...

You can get the carseat, if you get one that is good for a large range of ages/sizes eg a 3 in 1. You could get a baby gate if you will need one in your home - for staircases etc.

Personally I am collecting hand me down clothes, and it's getting a little ridiculous - I have 6 boxes. ;)

Long Journey Big Dreams said...

Shelley I requested under 12 months at the time of referral. I do watch your blog as I love all of the product reviews you do!

Dancin' Momma said...

Don't get a car seat, they have expiry dates. You want as much useable time as possible with your car seat to maximum your dollars spent. Buy that as late as possible before you travel. When you do buy, make sure you get one with a high maximum rear facing weight. It is much safer for your child to stay rear facing as long as possible (at least 2 years old). Due to the various slowed growth and nutrition issues they will have faced in Ethiopia, this is especially important for our little ones. So get a high maximum rear facing weight limit seat, but not one that converts to a booster. By the time your child is ready for a booster (recommended no earlier than 6 years old, if not later), the seat will be expired and you will need a new one anyway.

Sorry long ramble there! I am HUGE into child safety. LOL

Ok making up a list of ideas... two more secs

Dancin' Momma said...

Ok some things to buy:
Child proofing supplies (a play yard was invaluable with our 10 month old who was into everything, this kept him to one safe area, but much bigger and more functional than a playpen)
Baby carrier (you can kill tons of time at Babyhawk.com designing one just for you)
Toys & Books (always fun to shop for!)
Feeding supplies (bowls, spoons, etc.)
A comfy nursery chair (for all that cuddle time!)
An amazing awesome diaper/Mummy bag purse (see my blog from earlier this week for my Etsy find!)
Hope this helps, let me know if you need more ideas. :)

Long Journey Big Dreams said...

Thanks so much Shelley! It is very helpful!

hazel said...

I would hold off on clothing purchases as long as possible - like after you pass court. Of course you want to buy clothes for you little one right away, but you don't want to be like me and have to put away clothes your child has grown out of before they come home :-( I'm just glad that most of B's smaller clothes are hand-me-downs. Most of the clothes I brought her were for this spring/summer, but there are shoes/pjs that won't fit.

I would also make a packing list sooner rather than later as you'll keep adding to it.

I was going to say the same thing about expired car seats. And I made sure mine is good up to 30 lbs rear-facing as I'll be keeping Biset facing backwards for as long as I possibly can.

Perhaps, start stocking up on your child's library - books are pricey (but there are some cheap 2nd-hand in very good condition out there).

And I liked that the nursery was decorated ages ago. I would hate to be scrambling at the last minute and I've always enjoyed going into it and walking around/sitting in the rocking chair. Not everyone likes doing that, though.

hazel said...

I see D Dae's latest comment has other great suggestions too. I did all those things (incl designing my baby Mei Tei).

I have a hand me down playard from Gina, so don't buy one of those. I look forward to handing down other things for you too, girl or boy :-)

Oh, and sock $$ each month for the trip expenses. Trust me ;-)

Long Journey Big Dreams said...

Thanks Hazel! I haven't planned on getting clothes because of not knowing the gender (probably a good thing at this point :) ). Lots of good other ideas.

As for books I just signed up to sell Usborne ones...I figure this can be two fold for me...get books at great prices and if I make any money I can put that away for travel...that is the plan right now.

Anonymous said...

I went for bigger things before referral...like searching ebay for a fantastic stroller deal, sales on high chairs or good deals on books or toys you know that would be great. Or if you need a dresser or a change table, crib mattress and crib etc...

Steer AWAY from clothes and shoes and all that. I totally know how tempting it is to buy that stuff because it's easy and cheap, but LORD you get tons of it from everyone!!

Anonymous said...

Expiry dates on carseats are between 6-9 years from manufacture (depending on the brand)... so as long as you have a look at the date and make sure they haven't had it on the shelf for 3 years already you will be fine. If you see a great deal on a good seat, go for it.

Long Journey Big Dreams said...

Thanks for the great advice all. I think I can at least do research on the type of car seat i might get....while getting some of the other stuff mentioned.